Thursday, February 12, 2015

Epiphanies and Fruit Pizza

  It's amazing, the things that happen when you embark on a lifestyle change. Katie, who started us off on this whole plan, has had a few epiphanies. The first eye-opener is that there IS life without Nutella, and it's not so bad. WHEW! Although that and her incredibly successful induction to the program have been positive, she has made other discoveries that are not so easy. 
  Katie is all about music. She loves to sing and perform. Her dream, since she was about 6 or 7, has been to play Tracy Turnblad in the musical Hairspray.



Katie even dressed up as Tracy for Halloween. Her high school is quite likely doing Hairspray for their musical production next year. For those who are unfamiliar with the character, Tracy Turnblad is a full-figured gal. Katie is worried that if she drops all of this weight, she will never be able to play that part. She knows every step, she knows every song...and she looks just like Tracy. But she may have to let go of that dream and find a new character to identify with and dream of playing on stage.
  Katie has also lamented about not shopping at her favorite store, Torrid.
  Torrid is affiliated with Hot Topic and has really cool clothes for the big and beautiful. We started shopping there a few years ago and she loves the styles. But by losing weight, she won't fit the clothes. It will open up a lot of other opportunities for shopping excursions and she will have to find a new favorite store. I would have thought this would be a really exciting prospect for Katie, and in time, I think it will be. But it's hard to let go of things that are comfortable and familiar.
  I have discovered that I don't miss the foods that I thought I would. I thought it would be so hard to let go of pasta and sandwiches. I love mac-n-cheese. And the smell of freshly baked bread is heavenly. But when I was wandering the aisles at Safeway, I didn't even have an urge to pick those things up. It was the peanut butter. I found myself scouring each shelf for a jar of low-carb Skippy or even some organic brand-no such luck. Sadly, I finally managed to walk away and head out in search of proteins and veggies. 
  I knew passing the bakery aisles would be tough, but I did it anyway. I was shocked that what set off the cravings was not the sweets and treats, but a package of cornbread muffins. 

I really thought the biggest weakness I had was for cookies or pie. Nope. It's cornbread! I had no idea I loved it so much that not having it would cause me such great sadness. I stood there, staring at it for a full minute or two, but I pulled myself away and forged ahead with my list and coupons. I have also discovered that every time I encounter a pizza delivery guy on the road, my mouth starts to water uncontrollably. Oh, but for salvation from salivation! And when Katie was having friends over the other night, I found myself stumped as to what to feed them. I couldn't rely on my trusty Pizza Guy! So easy, so cheap, and it makes all the kids happy. Instead we grabbed meat, cheese and veggie trays. So not the same.
  As I was sharing my sadness with Jeff last week, he stated that it doesn't really bother him (he's so strong!), probably because he's done this diet before. But a day later, there was a bounty of deliciousness for lunch at his work. Buttery croissants with chicken salad and an amazing fruit pizza his coworker makes that is to die for (or so I've heard). A delectable dessert that Jeff had even gotten the recipe for and emailed to me.


  He told me his sad tale of having to walk by these tempting treats and watch his coworkers gobble them down as he sat with just a bowl of the chicken salad. Dejected that he could not partake of the sweet treat. I wish I could say that I felt sorry for him and that I was sympathetic to his plight. But since he had made it so clear just the day before that he had no such weakness, I didn't. I simply reminded him of the previous day's conversation and we laughed and moved on. I think it was a bonding moment and one that strengthened our resolve to be a team. 
  Another thing that has happened in our circle of friends and family is that a lot of folks are sharing their tips and tricks. All of it is well-intentioned, most of it is helpful. But talking about diet is a lot like talking about religion or politics. We all think that our way is best. And everyone is right-your way is what's best for you. I've had suggestions about sleep, supplements, hydration and exercise, some recipes and apps to try. And these ideas have been great. But everyone who is on a diet or eating plan wants you to get on their plan, too. "You know what you should try?" "You know what will REALLY work?" "Here's what you've gotta do!" It's like a cult-we all want to recruit more followers so that we have people to share in the experience with us. Lucky me, I formed my own little low-carb cult right under my own roof. And if anyone wants to join us, you are more than welcome (although, there is an application and initiation process, as well as the donations required. Make your checks out to "Katie's College Fund"). I respect your nutritional beliefs-be it Nutrisystem, Paleo, South Beach or the cabbage soup diet. Well, not that last one. It's crazy and kinda gross. And I love to get ideas and tips. And if low-carb stops working for us, I might come check out what's working for you. But so far, we are loving what we got going on!

No comments: