Thursday, March 12, 2015

Healthy Is In The Mouth Of The Beholder

  I get lots of tips and recipes now that I've been blogging about our diet, and most of them are super! I learn something new almost every day and I am researching different ways to get fit and stay healthy. And I really enjoy sharing my pointers and info with all of you!
  But diet and exercise are hot-button topics that can turn into raging debates, much like politics and religion. Everyone has their own beliefs and feeling challenged about what is working for them (or has not worked for them) can certainly stir the pot of emotions to a boiling point. I'm not one to push my convictions on anybody, be it religious, political or dietary. I appreciate the opportunity to gain more knowledge and insight. And it amazes and amuses me when folks get a little judgmental over what we're putting in our mouths. 


Well, sometimes I regret the cheat meals...

  I really like our low-carb eating plan. It's working for all three of us (some better than others). That's not to say that all the other diets and lifestyles are no good. So far, they just don't fit my family's needs and tastes. Paleo is not for us, although I agree with the principles and the science makes sense. Low-fat, in my opinion, will just lead me to make bad choices (all kinds of over-processed, low-fat baked goods and sweets out there!). Any of those plans where you have to buy pre-packaged meals are too expensive for our budget right now. And the ones where you keep track of points sound like a lot of math-ugh! And confusing. 
You get to eat when the math is done!

  Low-carb IS a little pricey-processed food is cheap in comparison to fresh meats and veggies. But it's an uncomplicated plan. Not a whole lot of energy has to go into figuring out what we can eat. Meat, cheese, veggies. Read the labels on other foods. Figure out the net carbs (Carbohydrates in grams minus grams of fiber=net carbs. SIMPLE MATH!)-if it has net carbs in excess of 7 to 10 per serving, don't eat it. Or eat it in very small quantities. I'm a lazy dieter. I need simple and straight-forward. And food that will taste good to me and my family.


  So there was this awesome recipe posted on Jeff's Facebook wall for Loaded Cauliflower. The ingredients are:

1 large head of Cauliflower cut into bite size pieces (approx 6 cups)
6-8 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled
6 Tbs chopped Chives

1/2 cup Mayonnaise

1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 cups Colby Jack Cheese ( may use cheddar)
8 oz container sliced mushrooms (optional)
Looks so good!!!

You bake that up in the oven until you have a cheesy, delicious, low-carb dish, sure to please my whole family. Doesn't that sound tasty? Serve it up with a grilled steak or chicken. Chow down!

  There was a comment under the post from someone who said, "Holy calories! No way I'd eat that!" I will admit, that from a certain point of view, this is not the most healthy offering. In terms of sodium and fat, it's got it's fair share. And the calories may be substantial. But let's compare it to one of my favorite casseroles that I no longer serve at my house. Cowboy Casserole:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 80/20)
1 medium onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (15.25oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 bag (30 oz) frozen tater tots (I used Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns)
Looks like dog food, tastes so yummy!

  Again, bake it up into a cheesy mess o' happiness. So good! I would also add 4-8 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon to this. 

  So the Cowboy Casserole has all kinds of starchy carbohydrates-canned corn (added sodium) and processed potatoes in the form of golden tater tots (and more sodium). There is added sodium and fat from the mushroom soup (processed), higher fat ground beef added to the bacon and cheese. And the only veggies are the onion and garlic (corn is a grain, people!). 
  Is our diet full of only healthy eating? No. But it's WAY healthier than what we WERE eating. And maybe our diet isn't for you, but that's ok. We can still get together, hang out, share a meal, pick out the parts we like and leave the rest. You don't have to be a member of the "Clean Plate Club" at my house. And if you share some insights about what's working for you, I might adopt a few of your suggestions into my low-carb lifestyle. I'm flexible like that. 
  I shall now step down off my soap box and return it to it's rightful place.
Let's turn this thing into a bad-ass derby car and get outta here!

  Last night, I showed Jeff and Katie the Model My Diet (modelmydiet.com)
website. We had such a good laugh creating these virtual models of where we were, where we are and where we want to be. There is also an option for men (modelmydiet.com/men), so of course, we made Jeff. He asked me to share it on the blog (no joke), so here it is           
Jeff at 200 pounds
Jeff at 283 pounds
        And yes, Jeff selected the boxer briefs, the bedroom background with the pink bedspread and the body type. I could have made him more muscular or with a flatter tummy. So this is about what he looks like now and what he'll look like when he reaches his goal. Katie, of course, won't let me post hers. *sigh* Teenagers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do love me some tater tot casserole. ..

I will bring you some good low-carb recipes, and just remember... I am eating extra carbs for you, so as not to disturb the balance of time and space...

And remember, every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a bunch of grains that did not become beer...

Unknown said...

I do love me some tater tot casserole. ..

I will bring you some good low-carb recipes, and just remember... I am eating extra carbs for you, so as not to disturb the balance of time and space...

And remember, every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a bunch of grains that did not become beer...

Unknown said...

LOL-I would love to check out any recipes you have that will help us with this weight-loss and healthy eating plan. Love your comments and tips :)