Friday, February 20, 2015

App-solute Power!

  Jeff and I are keeping up with our walking routine despite the sheer agony he is in. The blister on the bottom of his foot (I promise, no photos today) is causing poor Jeff a lot of pain and discomfort. Thanks to advice from a very helpful pharmacist at CVS in Poulsbo, I have acquired antibiotic ointment, bandages and mole-skin that seem to be giving Jeff some comfort and relief. He is at least able to walk with me and we completed our 10,000 steps this morning without having to amputate. So we're feeling good! 

The bottom of Jeff's left foot.


  Since the Axis of Evil 2.0 is not moving the numbers around the way I would like, I decided to take some measurements with a good old-fashioned measuring tape. This may have been a bad idea. My rationale for this new self-abuse is the hope that the pounds are due to muscle mass amassed and that I will see more of a reduction in inches. So, here's the math: Bust: 37 inches (that's the only number I like here) Waist: Ok. I am so confused as to where I am supposed to measure my waist. My "natural" waist I think of as the area where my body indents on the sides. So that is 30 inches around. But if I measure around my belly-button (a noticeably fluffier area of my figure) I get 35 1/4 inches. So should I go with the smaller number (YES!!!) or take the average? According to the Heart Foundation, women are at risk for many medical issues with a waist circumference of 31.5 inches and at high risk with a waist circumference of 34.5 inches. So I'm ok if I go with the "natural waist", not so good with the other. Either way, I'm gonna see these numbers go down. 
My hips measure 39 3/4 inches. YOWZA! That's a lotta junk in the trunk! And my thigh is 22 1/2 inches around. SOLID! No worries. These digits are gonna change!
  What I REALLY want to share with all of you is the inequality that I have discovered in these helpful health apps. I know I have mentioned the Nike Running app we use. It's really cool. It tracks our walks by GPS and tells us our time, distance, pace, elevation and calories burned. Jeff and I walk side-by-side. I am a foot shorter than him (nearly) and have to work a little harder to keep up (usually). However, Nike always logs his pace as 1-3 minutes faster than mine, his elevation more than twice mine (today's: me-253 ft., Jeff-515 ft.) and his calories burned more than twice mine (today's: me-310, Jeff-649). So not fair! I would also like to mention his app has a lovely female voice. Nikki the Rah-Rah Nike App Girl LOVES Jeff. She cheers him on at the end of each walk with adoration and words of encouragement. 
She's just sooooooo perky!

  "Oh, Jeff", she purrs, "you are SO amazing! You're like a machine! You've burned enough to have a big, juicy porterhouse steak. Go ahead-have the baked potato. You've earned it. Stud." 
  Meanwhile Nick (sorry Mr. Sabelhaus) the I'm hard-on-you-cuz-I-know-you-can-do-it Nike App guy on my phone is less enthusiastic, "Yeah, um, you walked the same walk as Jeff, but you've earned a string cheese. Just one. And drink your water, chubby. You don't want to dehydrate." I think I'm gonna have to switch with Jeff. Or find out what Reebok has for an app.
  Also, my overly-sensitive and super-vain self was a little hurt by a "you-go-girl" post from my Jawbone UP app. The message said that I'm in the top 20% of average steps for women over 40. Yes, I know. I'm over 40. You don't have to remind me. But I don't want to be awesome for my age. I just want to be awesome!
Just me going for a little walk...

  I know I should be proud of my accomplishments, but the little vain devil that sits on my shoulder robs me of that from time to time. I should probably try to give up some of my vanity for lent, too, huh? Maybe next year.
  Had a great time last night at Tommy C's comedy night fundraiser with Karen, Allen, Katie and Jeff. We had salads, Katie ate a hamburger (YES, with a bun! Cheater!) I bet she still loses a pound or two this week. Kids!

Waiting for the show to start
Me in the super-cool hoodie I won in the raffle. New walking gear!

*WARNING! WARNING! Shameless plug for our friend Tom!" 
Here's the GoFundMe link: http://www.gofundme.com/kh598c

  If you're feeling like making a donation to a good cause and help out a neighbor (spirit of Lent?), these folks could use it.  If everybody reading this could donate $5 (or more) it would sure help them with the relocation costs and get their doors opened at the new place so their 18 employees don't have to be out of work for more than a week or 2. 

  Thanks for checking in! I'm gonna go have a word with Jeff's virtual cheerleader and tell her where to shove her pom-poms! 
  
  



3 comments:

Unknown said...

in the Air Force your official waist measurement was taken at the top of the iliac crest. this is the point in your side where the top of your pelvic bone is. it should be roughly the same height as your belly button but could be an inch or two higher or lower.

you can find it by running your hand (palm up, pinkey in) up and down your side to narrow it down... You may need to poke yourself in the side with your thumb to find the exact spot.

Once you find and mark this spot on both sides, take a flat circumference measurement.

I hope that helps.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip! I think my measurement at the belly-button is probably the accurate one then *sigh*. I was really hoping for the nice low number, but I guess I have to just get real with myself! I'll continue to measure it there :)